Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

Smokehouse on Geddy Site

The excavation pictured above shows the virtually intact firebox and the outline of the robbed foundation for a smokehouse. Archaeologists believe the structure was built by James Geddy around 1770. Approaching the building from the south was a brick path made from tapered “compass” type bricks, apparently left over from the lining of the adjacent well shaft. Note the collection of broken wine bottles in the left foreground corner of the smokehouse.



Footer