>
Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

Major Gifts and Recognition

Gold funeral medal

A gold funeral medal for Washington's interment is part of the latest gift from the Lassers of Scarsdale, New York.

Treasury note from 1759

This treasury note issued in Montreal in 1759 is also in the Lasser collection of colonial currency and coins.

Among the individuals who generously supported Colonial Williamsburg in 2003 were senior trustees, National Council members, and honorary campaign co-chairs Abby and George O'Neill of Oyster Bay, New York, who endowed a chair, the Abby and George O'Neill Director of the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, with a gift of $1.5 million.

Trustee and National Council members John Donnell Jr. and his wife, Marcia, of Atlanta, Georgia, added to the Marcia and John R. Donnell Jr. Historic Area Preservation Fund, bringing their support of the Campaign for Colonial Williamsburg to $1 million.

A $1 million trustee and National Council members gift from Dick and Shirley Roberts of Virginia Beach, Virginia, endowed the position of Shirley and Richard Roberts Architectural Historian.

Carolyn and James Millar of Atlanta, Georgia, made a $1 million planned gift.

Ruth and Joe Lasser of Scarsdale, New York, donated colonial coins, medals, and currency to the Lasser Coin Collection at Colonial Williamsburg, which they began with earlier gifts. This is a collection-transforming gift of great value.

The Lassers, Martha and Richard Girard of McLean, Virginia, and James Welsh of Fairborn, Ohio, notified Colonial Williamsburg of bequest expectancies, and an unanticipated bequest from the estate of Mrs. Willard Hoffmire provided $1.2 million. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmire visited Colonial Williamsburg during World War II when he was stationed in Virginia. They became annual supporters in the 1980s and members of the Colonial Williamsburg Burgesses in 1989. Their belief in the importance of Colonial Williamsburg's educational mission led to their bequest.

In addition to endowment support of $7.9 million from the DeWitt Wallace Endowment Fund to support the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, the DeWitt Wallace Collections and Conservation Building, and educational outreach, gifts from institutional donors included a $1.3 million grant from the City of Williamsburg for marketing, a $339,000 National Endowment for the Humanities grant for support of a digital archive of research documents on colonial American history, archaeology, and architecture, and a contribution of $100,000 from AT&T in memory of foundation chairman emeritus Charles L. Brown. A $177,500 discretionary grant from the Norfolk Foundation helped to meet a $200,000 challenge grant from a private Richmond foundation to complete reconstruction of the Peyton Randolph outbuildings.

Corporations, foundations, and individuals contributed nearly $39 million to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 2003, bringing the comprehensive Campaign for Colonial Williamsburg total to $360.6 million.



Footer