The Virginia Gazette

Today in the 1770s: April 8

WILLIAMSBURG, April 8, 1775.
William Cosby, Wheelwright, Williamsburg, Begs Leave to inform his Friends and Customers, that as he has not been able to carry on his Business to his Satisfaction for almost twelve Months, owing to a tedious Spell of Sickness, but is now quite recovered, and would be glad to serve all who please to continue their Favours towards him. They may depend on their work being done in the best Manner, and on short Notice. Carriages of all Sorts repaired. He furnishes his Wheels and Carriages with Iron Work, and is determined every Thing for the future shall be done completely.

Virginia Gazette (Dixon & Hunter) April 8, 1775

About this entry:

Mr. Cosby had advertised his location as being "below the Capitol" adjoining William Pearson's tannery in a May 1768 Virginia Gazette (re-locating his riding chair business from behind the Brick House Tavern). Thus, in 1775 his business was located on Capitol Landing Road.

Sources: Harold Gill, Leather Workers

Brought to you by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation