>
Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

September 22, 2009

The Revolutionary City debuts scene depicting Native American presence in Williamsburg on eve of the American Revolution

The Native American presence in pre-Revolutionary War Williamsburg is reflected in a new Revolutionary City Revolutionary Story that begins a three-week run Oct. 3.

“So Far From Scioto” chronicles the story of three young Shawnee emissaries who were brought to Williamsburg in 1774 as security to ensure compliance with a peace agreement that ended Lord Dunmore’s War in the Ohio Country.

As diplomatic hostages, the Shawnee delegation witnesses the turmoil and public outcry at the beginnings of the American Revolution in Williamsburg; the seizure of the colony’s gunpowder at the Magazine by British marines, news of bloodshed at Lexington and Concord, and Lord Dunmore’s hurried departure from the Governor’s Palace and Williamsburg in the face of growing conflict with Virginian patriots. Torn by homesickness, political uncertainty and their sense of honor to serve as security for the safety of the Shawnee people, they consider their course of action.

“So Far From Scioto” is presented at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. daily except Mondays, Oct. 3 – 24 in the Governor’s Palace garden and is part of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s American Indian Initiative, which takes a broad-based approach to include the histories of Native peoples in 18th-century Williamsburg.

“So Far From Scioto” will be the first Revolutionary Story to draw on the talents and resources of the American Indian community. The Shawnee characters will be portrayed by an all Native cast.

Admission to “So Far From Scioto” is by Colonial Williamsburg admission ticket or Good Neighbor Card.
Colonial Williamsburg’s American Indian Initiative and “So Far From Scioto” are supported by gifts from two generous Colonial Williamsburg donors.

Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture – stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic trades people research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution guests interact with history through “Revolutionary City®” – a dramatic live street theater presentation.

Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.

Media Contact:
Jim Bradley
(757) 220-7281



Footer