Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

December 17, 2009

CW, Kiwanis cosponsor annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony

Special stories and traditional carols highlight this year’s annual Christmas Eve tree lighting ceremony on Market Square in Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area on Thursday, Dec. 24 at 5:30 p.m. The community is invited to gather at the Courthouse on Duke of Gloucester Street for a special program to include a reading of The Night

Before Christmas; a re-telling of the story of Williamsburg’s first recorded Christmas tree at the St. George Tucker House in 1842; and the singing of Christmas carols, followed by the lighting of a 35-foot live evergreen tree. Members of the Kiwanis Club of Williamsburg will participate with City of Williamsburg Vice Mayor Clyde Haulman.

Colonial Williamsburg and the Kiwanis Club of Williamsburg have cosponsored the lighting of a Christmas tree on Market Square since 1959. This year’s tree lighting continues a tradition involving other civic organizations begun in 1915.

No tickets or reservations required.

Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women.

Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121



Footer