April 20, 2010
Everybody loves a circus parade!
Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, step right up to hear Richard Flint as he explores the colorful parades that announced town circuses in his lecture, “The Great American Circus Parade: The History of the Magnificent Moving Mile of Majesty that Marched on Main Street,” at 5:30 p.m. on April 23 at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. Through an illustrated lecture, Flint highlights the evolution of how the circus parade annually enlivened American downtowns for nearly a century.
Flint discusses the carvers, wagon shops and musical instrument makers who created the telescoping tableaux and cacophonous calliopes featured in these imaginative parades.
He is a past president of the Circus Historical Society and a former staff member of the Smithsonian Institution’s Division of Performing Arts.
A Colonial Williamsburg admissions ticket, museum pass or Good Neighbor Card provides access to this lecture.
Programs and exhibitions at The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum are supported by the DeWitt Wallace Endowment Fund.
Entrance to Colonial Williamsburg Art Museums is through the Public Hospital of 1773 at 326 W. Francis St. For information, call (757) 220-7724.
The Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg operating hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. For museum program information, telephone (757) 220-7724.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women.
Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.