June 3, 2010
Preservation Virginia, Colonial Williamsburg present 400th Anniversary of Lord De La Warr’s arrival at Jamestown
Preservation Virginia and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation commemorate the 400th anniversary of Lord De La Warr's arrival and saving of Jamestown at Historic Jamestowne from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 12. Highlights include re-enactments, special exhibits, public archaeology, historic trades demonstrations and children's activities throughout the day.
In 1610, the survivors of the "Starving Time" winter along with newly arrived castaways from a Bermuda shipwreck abandoned Jamestown and headed down the James River intent on returning to England. At the same time, Lord De La Warr's relief fleet with 150 new settlers had just arrived in the river and met the colonists about 10 miles from Jamestown. As Lord Governor and Captain General of Virginia, De La Warr led the colonists back to the fort and reestablished the colony. Under his leadership, the foundations were laid for Jamestown to endure and prosper. Virginia survived and eventually became Britain’s wealthiest and most populous mainland colony.
Lord De La Warr's timely arrival will be featured in a dramatic re-enactment as part of the day’s activities, which also includes archaeological excavations, 17th-century iron making and demonstrations of other historic trades, American Indian exhibits, musket demonstrations, a dig box for children and more. A ceremonial halberd associated with Lord De La Warr’s arrival, found by archaeologists in a James Fort well, will be on display for the first time in the Voorhees Archaearium.
To access Historic Jamestowne use Route 199 to Jamestown Road (Route 31). Turn left at Jamestown Settlement and follow the signs to Historic Jamestowne. Enter at the Visitor Center where free parking is available.
Historic Jamestowne, an Official Preservation Virginia Historic Site, offers a wealth of activities for exploring the first permanent English settlement in North America. Visitors can share the moment of discovery with archaeologists and witness archaeology-in-action at the 1607 James Fort excavation April-October; learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation at the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger through the New Towne area along the scenic James River. Entrance to the site is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Historic Jamestowne Visitor Center and Voorhees Archaearium are open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., and the grounds remain open until dusk.
Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World. Admission is $10.00 for adults and includes admission to Yorktown Battlefield for seven consecutive days. Children under age 16 are free. National Park Service and federal recreation passes are also honored. For further information, visit www.historicjamestowne.org or call (757) 229-0412 or (757) 229-1733.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia. This town-sized living history museum tells the inspirational stories of our journey to become Americans through programs in the Historic Area and through the award-winning Revolutionary City program.