Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

September 14, 2010

Ashmolean Museum Silver Collection Topic of DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum Lecture

The DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum will host the lecture, Collectors and Benefactors: Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean Museum, on Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.

London-based silver scholar Timothy Schroder will speak. Schroder is former head of the silver department at Christie’s in London, curator of decorative arts at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and curator of the acclaimed Gilbert Collection at Somerset House.

Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum is one of the oldest in the world. Founded by Elias Ashmole in 1683, it received its first piece of silver, an Elizabethan Tankard, in 1790. Since then its British silver collection has grown into one of the finest of its kind in the world. In 1946, the famous Farrer collection was given, followed over the next 10 years by three further magnificent bequests. More recent years have witnessed many other important acquisitions and long-term loans from Oxford colleges. 2009 also marked the completion of a major multi-million dollar refurbishment of the museum including 39 new galleries.

This program is part of the Distinguished Scholar Lectures that is funded by the Horatio Hall Whitridge and Gracia Grieb Lecture Series Endowment.

Admission to this event is included in all Historic Area or museum admission passes.

The Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg include the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum and the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is home to the nation’s premier collection of American folk art, with more than 5,000 folk art objects made during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. The DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum exhibits the best in British and American decorative arts from 1670–1830.

The Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg are located at the intersection of Francis and South Henry Streets in Williamsburg, Va., and are entered through the Public Hospital of 1773. Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. For museum program information, telephone (757) 220-7724.

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121