May 20, 2011
”A Spring Muster at James Fort” Offers Hands-on Activities for Young Guests at Historic Jamestowne
Young settlers can muster at Historic Jamestowne, the site where Capt. John Smith drilled the defenders of James Fort from 1607 to 1609, on Saturday, May 28. Capt. Bruster, who arrived at Jamestown in 1610 as commander of Lord De La Warr’s personal guard of 50 halberdiers, exercises young guests in the use of the halberd, an ancient pole arm, at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
During “A Spring Muster at James Fort,” young guests join in the practice the halberd manual of arms with Capt. Bruster, portrayed by Willie Balderson, Colonial Williamsburg’s manager of public history development, and learn about the fear of Spanish reprisals that constantly beset the early settlers.
While on site, guests meet the Jamestown Rediscovery archaeologists who are on hand to provide information about the current fort excavations from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Visit the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium and view a ceremonial halberd associated with Lord De la Warr's arrival found by archaeologists in one of the 17th-century James Fort wells.
This program is free with paid admission to Historic Jamestowne. Admission is $10 per adult and also includes Yorktown Battlefield, part of the Colonial National Historical Park. Children under age 16 are admitted free. Federal Interagency Passes and Golden Age and Golden Access passports to the National Parks are accepted. For further information, call (757) 229-0412.
This program is presented jointly by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and Historic Jamestowne.
Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by the National Park Service and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (on behalf of Preservation Virginia) and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World.
Visitors to Historic Jamestowne share the moment of discovery with archaeologists and witness archaeology in action at the 1607 James Fort excavation April-October; learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation at the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger through the New Towne area along the scenic James River. For further information, visit www.HistoricJamestowne.org or call (757) 229-0412 or (757) 898-2410.
Preservation Virginia, a private non-profit organization and statewide historic preservation leader founded in 1889, is dedicated to perpetuating and revitalizing Virginia's cultural, architectural and historic heritage thereby ensuring that historic places are integral parts of the lives of present and future generations.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia.
Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.history.org.