Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

August 19, 2011

Sir Thomas Dale Discusses Plans to Expand Colony Farther up the James River

Guests are ushered into 1611 to meet Sir Thomas Dale, the newly appointed High Marshall of Virginia during the program, “‘in honor of our noble Prince Henry’… a New town Called Henrico.” Dale discusses plans for a major expansion of the Virginia colony by building a new settlement up river near the falls of the James River. The program is presented at 12:30 and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 27 at the Memorial Church at Historic Jamestowne.

In the three months following his arrival at Jamestown, Dale repaired the church and storehouse, and assumed responsibility for enforcing the “Articles, Lawes and Orders” that had been first introduced by Sir Thomas Gates a year earlier. Capt. Bruster, captain of Lord De La Warr’s personal guard, also will be present to assist in answering questions concerning the future of the colony.

While onsite, guests meet the Jamestown Rediscovery® archaeologists who are on hand to provide information about the current fort excavations from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

This program is presented jointly by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and Historic Jamestowne.

This program is free with paid admission to Historic Jamestowne. The admission fee of $10 per adult includes both Historic Jamestowne and Yorktown Battlefield. Children under age 16 are admitted free. America the Beautiful National Parks passes are accepted and Preservation Virginia members also are admitted free. For further information, call (757) 229-4997 or (757) 898-2410.

Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by the National Park Service and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (on behalf of Preservation Virginia) and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World.

Visitors to Historic Jamestowne share the moment of discovery with archaeologists and witness archaeology in action at the 1607 James Fort excavation April-October; learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation at the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger through the New Towne area along the scenic James River. For further information, visit or call (757) 229-0412 or (757) 898-2410.

Preservation Virginia, a private non-profit organization and statewide historic preservation leader founded in 1889, is dedicated to perpetuating and revitalizing Virginia's cultural, architectural and historic heritage thereby ensuring that historic places are integral parts of the lives of present and future generations. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia.

Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121