Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

April 17, 2012

Lawn Bowling Open House April 22

The Williamsburg Inn Lawn Bowling Club hosts its annual open house at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 22 on the lawn bowling green behind the Williamsburg Inn, 136 E. Francis St., in Williamsburg. Club members will provide free lessons to visitors of all ages interested in learning more about the game that dates to 13th-century England. Refreshments, games and prizes are included in the afternoon fun.

The sport resembles the Italian game of bocce and the French boules and pétanque. Folklore indicates there was a bowling green in Williamsburg on Middle Plantation as early as 1632, but the first clear evidence of a bowling green appeared in the 18th century. In 1954, Colonial Williamsburg recreated a green near Chowning’s Tavern, with Colonial Williamsburg tradesmen demonstrating how the game was played.

In 1966, Colonial Williamsburg built a professional lawn bowling green behind the Williamsburg Inn for guests and visiting teams. In addition to hotel guests, members of the Williamsburg Inn Lawn Bowling Club play regularly and hold tournaments. It is the only professional lawn bowling green in Virginia. The club has 60 members, making it second in size only to New York’s Central Park Lawn Bowling Club in the Northeast Division of the U.S. Lawn Bowling Association. The club’s season is from April through October. A club member is on the green daily between 3 and 6 p.m. to provide free lessons to anyone interested.

For more information on the Williamsburg Inn Lawn Bowling Club, tournament schedule and membership, visit www.williamsburglawnbowling.org or contact club president Jim Halter at 757-645-0954 or james_halter@msn.com.

Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit center for history, citizenship and democracy, encouraging audiences at home and around the world to learn from the past. Colonial Williamsburg operates a resort with more than 1,000 guest rooms among five hotels, including the landmark Williamsburg Inn, celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2012, four historic dining taverns and six other restaurants, a full-service 20,000-square-foot spa, 45 holes of golf at the Golden Horseshoe golf courses and 67,000 square feet of conference space centered at the renovated and expanded Williamsburg Lodge. Purchase of Colonial Williamsburg products and services supports the Foundation’s preservation, research and educational programs. Philanthropic support by individuals, corporations, and foundations benefits the educational mission of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at colonialwilliamsburg.com.

Media Contact:
Barbara Brown
(757) 220-7280



Footer