September 4, 2012
Fort Pocahontas History Uncovered in Special Program at Historic Jamestowne
During a special evening program, “Jamestowne in the Civil War,” guests explore the story of Fort Pocahontas, one of five forts constructed on Jamestown Island during the Civil War, and then fast forward to 2012 to learn about recent archaeological excavations at the fort site. The program begins at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 13 at Historic Jamestowne.
At the beginning of the Civil War, Capt. William Allen owned and farmed Jamestown Island. In April 1861, Allen’s slaves and troops raised at his own expense built much of the earthworks that became “Fort Pocahontas.” The Confederate Army stationed more than 1,200 men there in the summer of 1861 in hopes of blocking Federal ships from moving up the James River toward Richmond, the capital and industrial center of the Confederacy. Guests encounter Confederate soldiers who manned the fort in 1861.
Along with numerous Civil War-era artifacts, archaeologists have uncovered the remains of a Confederate bomb shelter and powder magazine that were part of the fort. Archaeologists first explored the fort and earthworks in 2004-05 and last summer uncovered sandbag markings and wooden beams that supported the roof of the bomb shelter 12 feet wide and at least 18 feet long. The fort never came under attack, but soil markings and nails pointing downward indicate the shelter collapsed at some point. The fort was abandoned without a fight on May 3, 1862, and the troops retreated to a position nearer to Richmond after burning the powder magazines and gun carriages.
Tickets are $15 per person. Space is limited and reservations are required. Please call 1-800-HISTORY to make reservations.
Historic Jamestowne is located at 1368 Colonial Parkway on Jamestown Island, seven miles west of Williamsburg. It can be reached via the Colonial Parkway or VA State Route 31.
Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by the National Park Service and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (on behalf of Preservation Virginia) and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World.
Guests to Historic Jamestowne share the moment of discovery with archaeologists and witness archaeology in action at the 1607 James Fort excavation April-October; learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation at the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger through the New Towne area along the scenic James River. Guests can also enjoy lunch or a snack by the James River at the Dale House Café.
Preservation Virginia, a private non-profit organization and statewide historic preservation leader founded in 1889, is dedicated to perpetuating and revitalizing Virginia's cultural, architectural and historic heritage thereby ensuring that historic places are integral parts of the lives of present and future generations. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia. This town-sized living history museum tells the inspirational stories of our journey to become Americans through the award-winning Revolutionary City® program.
Revolutionary City® is a registered trademark of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.history.org.