September 27, 2012
Blacksmith Demonstrates Trade on Original Site of First Blacksmith Shop at Jamestown
The 1607 James Fort and one of the most important industries to early Virginia colonists are rediscovered through the special evening presentation, “Forging Jamestown: Discovering Industry at the 1607 James Fort,” at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at Historic Jamestowne.
Jamestown Rediscovery senior staff archaeologist David Givens leads a tour highlighting the exciting revelations of life in the fort, and blacksmith Shel Browder demonstrates his craft on the actual site of the first blacksmith’s shop at Jamestowne discovered by the Jamestown Rediscovery team in 2006. The blacksmith’s shop at Jamestowne is where repairs and simple necessary items, such as nails, were manufactured in the earliest years of the settlement. The smith in Jamestowne also would have been involved in the testing of iron ores and manufacturing iron.
The archaeologist-led tour focuses on the exciting moments of discovery experienced by the team over the last two decades, as piece by piece they uncover the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. This in-depth discussion of archaeology and its significance to the understanding our early history is paired with a demonstration of blacksmithing, one of the most essential trades in the success of the colony.
All tickets are $15. Reservations are required. For reservations and tickets, call 1-800-HISTORY.
This program is presented by Historic Jamestowne and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
Historic Jamestowne is located at 1368 Colonial Parkway on Jamestown Island, seven miles west of Williamsburg. It can be reached via the Colonial Parkway or VA State Route 31.
Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by the National Park Service and The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (on behalf of Preservation Virginia) and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in the New World.
Guests to Historic Jamestowne share the moment of discovery with archaeologists and witness archaeology in action at the 1607 James Fort excavation April-October; learn about the Jamestown Rediscovery excavation at the Nathalie P. and Alan M. Voorhees Archaearium, the site's archaeology museum; tour the original 17th-century church tower and reconstructed 17th-century Jamestown Memorial Church; and take a walking tour with a Park Ranger through the New Towne area along the scenic James River. Guests can also enjoy lunch or a snack by the James River at the Dale House Café.
Preservation Virginia, a private non-profit organization and statewide historic preservation leader founded in 1889, is dedicated to perpetuating and revitalizing Virginia's cultural, architectural and historic heritage thereby ensuring that historic places are integral parts of the lives of present and future generations. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia. This town-sized living history museum tells the inspirational stories of our journey to become Americans through the award-winning Revolutionary City® program.
Revolutionary City is a registered trademark of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.history.org.