November 13, 2012
The Rhythm of Ireland Irish Dancers Kicks Off Seasonal Programs at Colonial Williamsburg’s Kimball Theatre
‘An Irish Dancing Christmas!’ will get guests in the spirit of the holiday season at Colonial Williamsburg’s Kimball Theatre. The Rhythm of Ireland Irish Dancers will enchant guests with their rhythmic, precise, high-energy dancing. This performance features live music Keltish with fiddler Chelle Fulk and special guest percussionist Catherine Hauke. The production takes place at 7 p .m. Friday, Nov. 23 – Sunday, Nov. 25. Tickets are $20 for adults, $17 for seniors and students and $14 for children under 12.
The Kimball Theatre hosts several additional programs as well including:
- Christmas Memories, a light-hearted evening for all ages, is filled with beloved traditional classics, laughter and merriment. Guests make new holiday memories as they join in sing-alongs and welcome a special guest. This is a ShowStoppers Production. 7:30 p.m. Fridays, Nov. 30, Dec. 7 and Dec. 14. Tickets are $22 for general admission and $20 for seniors, students and military.
- Williamsburg Symphonia Holiday Pops Concert features ‘Santa Claus is Coming to Town’ with Christmas classics for the whole family. 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1 and 1:30 and 3 p.m., Sunday Dec. 2. All seats are $25.
- Christmas Dreams begins in the magical moments of Christmas Eve just before bedtime when children everywhere are wondering, wishing and wanting a glimpse into Christmas Day. Janie Sparkle is no different. As she gazes into the reassured Christmas globe from her mother, she stumbles and the globe breaks. What happens next only can happen in ‘Christmas Dreams.’ This stage production is presented by The Institute of Dance. 2:30 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8 and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for William and Mary students and $10 for seniors and children.
- Celebrate the Season: Don Irwin in Concert provides an evening filled with holiday classics and heart-warming melodies from Steinway artist Don Irwin, who is one of the country’s best pianists. 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15. All seats are $24.50.
- Need a Little Christmas presents Andrea McArdle, the Tony Award nominee for her role in ‘Annie,’ in this one-woman show. She will sing everything from Broadway to Christmas classics, while sharing anecdotes from her long and successful career. 2 and 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16. This is a ShowStoppers Production. Tickets are $35 for general admission and $30 for seniors, students and military.
- A Big Band Christmas features the Williamsburg Classic Swing Orchestra that performs arrangements from the Glenn Miller, Stan Kenton and Duke Ellington orchestras as well as other holiday favorites from the Big Band era. 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 18 and Wednesday, Dec. 19. Tickets are $20 for adults and $17 for seniors and students.
Located in Williamsburg’s Merchants Square, the beautifully restored Kimball Theatre presents films, live performances, musical concerts, and special programs. Creative programming alliances with the College of William and Mary, community organizations and Colonial Williamsburg link the past with the present. The 410-seat theater also houses a 35-seat screening room which enables the theater to offer films to the community seven days a week, even when live performances are staged in the main theater. For more information, call (757) 565-8588 or visit www.kimballtheatre.com.
In 1999, Colonial Williamsburg benefactors Gretchen and the late Bill Kimball made a major gift to renovate the historic facility and to transform it into the multipurpose Kimball Theatre. The 35-seat screening room was underwritten by a grant from the Gladys and Franklin Clark Foundation. Other generous donors continue to make gifts to endow Kimball Theatre programming. Their names are listed on plaques in the theater lobby.