Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

June 15, 2004

CW hosts annual holiday display

“Child’s Play: A Celebration of Antique Toys,” Colonial Williamsburg’s annual holiday exhibition at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, will open Nov. 25 and will feature a delightful display of toys that will capture the imagination of guests both young and old. Four dollhouses will be on view, including the dollhouse owned by renowned illustrator Tasha Tudor. Special programs, dubbed “Holiday Family Fun,” will be offered on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the season and will allow guests to create their own tree ornaments or 19th-century-style toys. The exhibition will run through Jan. 2, 2005.

The Folk Art Museum’s two elegant dollhouses -- the circa-1900 Long Island Dollhouse and the early 19th-century Morris-Canby-Rumford Dollhouse – will be on display along with a late 19th-century dollhouse from the Shenandoah Valley region of Virginia and Tasha Tudor’s dollhouse, a 15-foot-long edifice made specially for her by retired craftsmen at the museum. Each will provide a child’s eye view of Christmases past. As in previous years, the museum also will feature a festive 10-foot Christmas tree decorated with handmade ornaments inspired by folk art in the museum.

The 2004 Christmas display represents a milestone in the history of the Folk Art Museum. The original facility, opened in 1957 by Colonial Williamsburg benefactor John D. Rockefeller Jr. in honor of his late wife Abby and expanded in 1992, will close in January 2005. A new facility will begin construction adjacent to Colonial Williamsburg’s DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum in mid- to late-2004. The new location not only will provide greater visibility for the Folk Art Museum but also will enable it to expand its programming and current exhibition space from 10,800 square feet to 11,200 square feet.

Centralization of the two museums will give museum guests access to the Wallace Museum’s Hennage Auditorium for enhanced programming opportunities and to the Wallace Museum Café for a guest dining option. Each museum will retain its distinct identity and name, though the complex itself will be referred to collectively as the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg. The anticipated opening date for the new Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is fall 2006.

The award winning Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is the first U.S. institution devoted exclusively to collecting, exhibiting and researching American folk art. Located on South England Street across from the Williamsburg Lodge, it is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is included in any Colonial Williamsburg admission ticket or by separate museums ticket. For program information, call (757) 220-7724.

Media Contact:
Sophie Hart
(757) 220-7272