>
Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

January 19, 2007

CW to host Community Open House

The acclaimed Williamsburg Lodge is now fully operational, with the lobby, registration area, gift shop, restaurant, bar/lounge and all guest rooms open. Colonial Williamsburg invites the community to an open house and tour of the recently completed Williamsburg Lodge and conference center Sunday, Jan. 28 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Self-guided tours will begin at the Lodge, located at 310 S. England St.

Guides will be on hand to facilitate the tours, which will include the registration and lobby area, bar/lounge, restaurant, conference center and grounds of the Lodge.

“We are pleased to welcome members of the community back to the Williamsburg Lodge,” said John Hallowell, president of Colonial Williamsburg’s hospitality group. “Their support is vital to our success, and we believe they will be pleased with what they see. This entire facility speaks of the history and culture of the area, with attention to detail and the comfort of our guests our major goal. We have assembled a staff that is providing gracious Southern hospitality and culinary offerings that are garnering rave reviews from our guests. We appreciate the patience of the entire community while the Lodge has undergone a major renovation, and we are eager to welcome them back.”

Colonial Williamsburg staff members will be on hand to direct parking, which will be available in the lot across from the Lodge and also at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club.

The Lodge renovation, restoration and expansion project began nearly three years ago and caps more than $220 million in improvements at Colonial Williamsburg facilities since 2000, including an extensive renovation of the world-renowned Williamsburg Inn and the 2001 debut of the all new, 300-room Woodlands Hotels & Suites.

The all-new conference center at the Williamsburg Lodge opened in September 2006, while restoration of the main building continued through the end of that year. The updated and enhanced facility offers Colonial Williamsburg’s leisure and conference guests a generous helping of Southern hospitality, impeccable service and special amenities, including:

  • 323 attractively appointed guest rooms in all-new, Federal-style Guesthouses as well as the renovated Tazewell Hall, South Hall and Main Building with its original cypress-paneled lobby; fireplace and lounge;
  • an all-new conference center with 45,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space (an increase of 15,000 square feet);
  • a 12,000-square-foot ballroom and a 7,000-square-foot ballroom, 28 meeting rooms and four outdoor function areas;
  • retail space offering Colonial Williamsburg licensed merchandise, hand-made specialty gifts from Virginia artists and craftsmen, and sundries;
  • a dramatic new restaurant featuring the best of regional cuisine.

    Opened in 1939 to provide comfortable accommodations for travelers to the historic town, the Williamsburg Lodge is one of the original Colonial Williamsburg hotels, constructed under the guidance of John D. Rockefeller Jr., the founder and first benefactor of the town’s restoration.

    Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century revolutionary capital of Virginia. The Colonial Williamsburg Company, a subsidiary of the Foundation, operates a resort that includes more than 1,000 guest rooms, ten restaurants and 66,000 square feet of conference space in properties including the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg Lodge, Williamsburg Woodlands, 26 individual Colonial Houses, four Historic Area dining taverns, Spa of Colonial Williamsburg and the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club, site of the 2007 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship. Each purchase of Colonial Williamsburg products and services supports the Foundation’s preservation, research, and educational programs. Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.com or www.goldenhorseshoegolf.com.

    Media Contact:
    Barbara Brown
    (757) 220-7280



  • Footer