May 25, 2007
King's Arms Tavern host new chocolate dinner
In 1785 in a letter to John Adams, Thomas Jefferson wrote “the superiority of the article both for health and nourishment will soon give it the same preference over tea and coffee in America, which it has in Spain.” Colonial Williamsburg may just prove him right. In the spirit of sweetness, Chef Roger Hill of the King’s Arms Tavern and representatives of Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Foodways program are hosting a fascinating and flavorful four-course dinner to celebrate the love for chocolate past and present.
Guests are invited to enter the discussion of how chocolate is made and learn about its uses in cooking as they sample historically inspired chocolate recipes. The King’s Arm Chocolate Dinner began in May and continues on Tuesday, June 5, Sept. 4, Oct. 2, Nov. 6 and Dec. 4.
The first dinner featured dishes such as Prawns Chocolate Tempura, Chocolate Lacquered Duck, Pork Duo with Chipotle-Chocolate Barbecue Sauce, Chocolate Revolution/Evolution Dessert and a White Chocolate Martini. Some dishes also feature American Heritage Chocolate, a chocolate line inspired by Colonial Williamsburg colonial cooking experts and produced by Mars Inc.
Seating begins at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $59.95 including tax and gratuity. Reservations are required. To make reservations call (757) 229-2141.
The program that inspired the dinner, “The Secrets of the Chocolate Maker,” can be seen on the same days between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. at the Governor’s Palace Kitchen. A Colonial Williamsburg admission ticket, Good Neighbor Pass or College of William and Mary faculty or student ID is required to attend.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia. The Colonial Williamsburg Company, a subsidiary of the Foundation, operates a resort that includes more than 1,000 guest rooms, ten restaurants and 66,000 square feet of conference space in properties including the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg Lodge, Woodlands Hotel & Suites, 26 individual Colonial Houses, four Historic Area dining taverns, The Spa of Colonial Williamsburg and the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club. Each purchase of Colonial Williamsburg products and services supports the Foundation’s preservation, research, and educational programs. Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington D.C., off interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.com or www.goldenhorseshoegolf.com.