July 31, 2007
Weldon promoted to CW's director of Historic Area programming, planning and production
Bill Weldon has been promoted to director of Historic Area programming, planning and production for The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. In this position he will oversee program planning for the Historic Area, and planning and production for the Revolutionary City® and performing arts programs.
He began his career at the Foundation in 1981 as an apprentice housewright under Roy Underhill, the host of the PBS program “The Woodwright’s Shop.” He worked in this program which evolved into the building trades program for three years when he became an instructor in interpretive education. He then became manager of special programs in Historic Trades.
In 1989, Weldon became manager of building trades. He worked on the restoration of the Courthouse of 1770, which was completed in 1991. In 1995, he became manager of the character interpreter program and performing arts program. He also developed several People of the Past for various audiences. In 1991, he introduced Baptist minister Lewis Craig to the Historic Area. In 1994, he brought Patrick Henry to life.
In 2005, Weldon was named to the team that began developing the Revolutionary City program, a two-hour outdoor dramatic presentation that occurs in Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area near the Capitol. Now in its second season, the Revolutionary City program has expanded to include Nation Builders, Revolutionary Stories and Revolutionary City After Dark.
Weldon studied theater at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Va., and is a member of the National Association of Interpretation and the Virginia Association of Museums.
He and his wife, Eileen, are the parents of a grown son and daughter, and reside in the Williamsburg area.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture — stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information or reservations, call toll-free 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg on the Internet at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.com.