Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

August 7, 2007

Autumn's Colonial Williamsburg Journal recalls visit of Britain's royal couple to commemorative America's 400th anniversary

A photo essay in the autumn edition of Colonial Williamsburg, the journal of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, recounts the visit of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, to Virginia’s Historic Triangle May 3-4.

Colonial Williamsburg photographers Dave Doody, Tom Green, Barbara Lombardi, Kelly Mihalcoe and Lael White capture the Queen’s progress through Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area and Jamestown. Her visit commemorated America’s 400th Anniversary of the first permanent English settlement in the Americas. The royal couple last visited Williamsburg Oct. 16-17, 1957, for Jamestown’s 350th anniversary.

In the article, “Fighting…Maybe for Freedom, But Probably Not,” former NBC News television correspondent and journalism professor Lloyd Dobyns reports the fate of slaves who, in exchange for their liberty, fought with the redcoats during the American Revolution. “Those who sided with the British were told, more or less, that they were manumitted and would be given land and self-government. They had a better hope for freedom with the British then they had with Americans. But the British found it easier to promise liberty and land than to provide them. Slaves who departed with the redcoats when the conflict was over were in their new lands—Canada, England, Australia, and Sierra Leone—still treated much as they had been before.”

Elsewhere in the issue can be found:

  • “The Works at Falling Creek”—Christopher Geist, professor emeritus at Ohio’s Bowling Green State University, explores the 17th-century iron works at Falling Creek near Richmond, Va., one of the first large-scale industrial development projects in the 13 colonies;
  • “‘Pence and Popularity’: The George Washington Industry”—Contributor Mary Miley Theobald discusses the profitable trade in George Washington books and commemorative products; and
  • “Native Numerals: Among American Indians, Numbers Counted for More Than Math”—Anthony F. Aveni, the Russell Colgate Distinguished University Professor of Astronomy, Anthropology and Native American Studies at Colgate University, addresses Native American mathematical systems.

    These articles and articles from previous issues are found online at Colonial Williamsburg can be purchased at Everything Williamsburg™ and Williamsburg Booksellers® at the Foundation’s Visitor Center. Complimentary copies of the printed magazine can be obtained and subscriptions ordered at

    Colonial Williamsburg is published five times a year. The journal is a benefit to donors who contribute $35 a year or more and $8 is reserved for the subscription.

    Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture — stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information or reservations, call toll-free 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg on the Internet at

    Media Contact:
    Penna Rogers
    (757) 220-7121

  • Footer