December 18, 2007
California eighth graders donate money to CW's Great Hopes Plantation
Eighth graders from St. Mary’s All Angels School in Aliso Viejo, Calif., sold pizzas to raise money for a contribution to Colonial Williamsburg. During their visit to the Historic Area Dec. 3-4, students presented a check for $100 to Russ Henke, supervisor in group interpretation.
St. Mary’s All Angels School studied slavery this year. The money will be used for educational programming at Great Hopes Plantation, a hands-on site where interpreters perform a variety of daily work activities that represent slave history, culture, agriculture and carpentry on an 18th-century plantation.
Last year, the eighth-grade class presented $100 to the Foundation for educational kitchen programming at the Benjamin Powell house.
Founded in 1994, St. Mary’s All Angels School is a non-denominational Christian school, focusing each day on preparing students for the world in which they will work and live.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture — stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.