Colonial Williamsburg Resources
- Learn more about the Marquis de Lafayette on our website and blog.
- Learn more about George Washington on our website and in blog posts about George Washington facts, his early military experience, and a portrait of him from our Art Museum’s collection.
- Learn more about the Battle of Yorktown in this recorded livestreamwith General Washington, General Lafayette, and Colonel Hamilton.
Resources for Teachers
To access these resources, please first log in to your free Education Resource Library account or use the shared login information at https://resourcelibrary.history.org
- In the Yorktown Electronic Field Trip, you will find video, a script, and lesson plans exploring the story of the key turning point in the Revolutionary War. Follow the people who converged on the village of York in October 1781: the military leaders, common soldiers, and civilians whose lives were changed forever by the siege. Learn why Yorktown was the place where American independence was finally secured.
- This collection of primary source documents and images allows students to uncover the perspectives of people at the time of the surrender. Includes images and documents from British, American, and European observers and contemporaries.
- In this lesson, students will read two letters written by George Washington, examine the writing style and word choices used in each letter, and summarize the basic content.